Our municipality MONSARAZ

 
 
 

Monsaraz Municipality

 
The municipality of Reguengos de Monsaraz was formerly called
the municipality of Monsaraz. The village of Monsaraz led the county until 1838,
from this date on there is a transfer of the county seat to the village of Reguengos,
which began in 1851 with the definitive establishment of the county seat in the village of Reguengos.

The municipality has the same geographical areas since the 13th century, when in 1270 King Alfonso III awarded the "Carta de Foral" (charter) to the village of Monsaraz, thus establishing one of the oldest administratively constituted municipalities in southern Portugal.
 
 

Monuments

 
The main monuments of Monsaraz are: Hermitage of Santa Catarina Monsaraz, Pillory of Monsaraz, Church of Nossa Senhora da Lagoa, "Casa da Inquisição", Chapel of São José, "Antigos Paços de Audiência e Fresco do Bom e Mau Juiz", Cistern, Church of Santiago, Chapel of São Bento or Hermitage of São Bento, Chapel of São João Baptista (Cuba), Espírito Santo Hospital and "Casa da Misericórdia", Church of Misericórdia, Church of São Bartolomeu, Hermitage of São Lázaro.
 
 
 

The main monuments of Reguengos de Monsaraz are

 
Bronze bust of Manuel Augusto Mendes Papança, Mother Church of Santo António, Hermitage of Nossa Senhora dos Remédios do Esporão, Esporão Tower.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Church of Nossa Senhora da Lagoa
 
 
 
Cistern
 
 
 
Church of S. Tiago
 
 
 
Chapel of S. Bento
 
 
 
 
 
Chapel of S.João Batista
 
 
 
Espirito Santo Hospital
 
 
 
Church of Misericórdia
 
 
 
Castle
 
 
 
 
 
Castle
 
 
 
Hermitage of Santa Catarina
 
 
 
Pillory of Monsaraz
 
 
 
"Casa da Inquisição"
 
 
 
 
 
Esporão Tower
 
 
 
Chapel of Esporão
 
 
 
Chapel of S. José
 
 
 
"Paços de Audiência"
 
 
 
 
 
Esporão Tower